Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Is Near...Cookie Swaps Are Here

When I first moved here, I had a Christmas cookie swap at my house. Fourteen women came to the party and brought five dozen cookies each - one to eat at the party, four to share.
I had asked them to give me their recipes a week before the party so I could make a booklet for them to take home.
When cookie swap day came, the ladies arrived all decked out in their Christmas finery. They carried their cookies in gold baskets, snowmen bowls, and poinsettia plates.
My house was decorated with an amazing Christmas tree, window snowflakes, and glowing candles. We sat in the living room and sampled our cookies with cups of hot cider and hot tea. We shared what Christmas meant to each of us and told favorite Christmas memories. I read a Christmas poem. Another lady read a short Christmas story. We delighted in our friendships and yummy
cookies.
At the end of the party, we filled our take-home containers with samples of everyone's cookies and took a copy of the little recipe booklet tied with red and green ribbons. We were so happy that our families would enjoy a variety of goodies on Christmas Day.
Today our library staff members will share in a cookie swap. Ten of us have baked four dozen cookies - one to eat at work, three to share. It's one way we enjoy each other's friendship. And there's also a recipe booklet for everyone to take home.
I found the recipe booklet from my very first Christmas cookie swap the other day. It was stuffed in my Southern cooking cookbook. It brought back memories of a good time and great friendships.
Here's hoping the same will happen to each staff member many years from now when they see their booklet of Recipes from the Library Ladies and Gents.

No comments: