Tuesday, July 5, 2011

So...what did you do on July 4th?

     One of the fun things I like to do around here is to talk to our staff about certain issues, get their opinions, while finding out more about them.  Today's survey was just so I could find out more about them.  After all, the people who work at libraries are "real" people, too, you know.
     Our library, like libraries all across this nation, was closed for Independence Day, July 4th.  So, today I walked around and asked everybody what they did on July 4th.  It seems we have a small staff here today.  Not necessarily because vacations are still in full swing, but because we have some people out for various other reasons.  But that didn't stop me from asking anyhow.
     Of course, when I asked them my question, I said something (but I don't really remember) about not putting their name on their responses.  This is now my disclaimer...I don't reeeallly remember saying that!
     Ann told me she and her husband went to Home Depot and bought some shelving for their closet and a ceiling fan with a light for their bedroom.  Then they spent the rest of the day getting it all installed.  She didn't even mention stopping to eat.  Bummer!
     Jinx went to the Smokin' Pig Bar-B-Q Restaurant in Valdosta with a friend and stuffed herself, not only then but later for supper with the leftovers!  And she spent the evening reading and watching the July 4th celebrations on television.
     Monique celebrated at the annual First Avenue Block Party.  As usual, the bar-b-que cookouts were lining the streets and there were hundreds of people there to enjoy the festivities.
     Keva said she was at the First Avenue Block Party, too, but she was relaxing on the front porch with her grandparents and watching all the party-ers pass by.
     Carolyn had bar-b-que, too.  Her church, Oak Grove Baptist Church, had a big bar-b-que cookout with all the trimmings, as well as homemade ice cream AND a water slide.  But Carolyn said she didn't do the water slide part.  Can't imagine why?  Would have been a good way to cool off!
     Johnnie and her husband stayed home and grilled.  She said she was so lazy that she just enjoyed eating, reading, and taking two naps!  Now, that is the height of laziness!
     I guess I really felt sorry for Sheila (but then I'd have to feel sorry for Ann and Billy, too), because she said she worked in her yard on the 4th!  Do you know how hot it was out there?  At least 100 in the shade!  Oooooo, Sheila!
     Now, Michele had a good idea.  She celebrated her husband's birthday on the 3rd.  And she said they grilled out and picked blueberries (later in the evening when it was cool, I hope!).  But she said she also read magazines and books, too.
     Irene said it was quiet on her home front; she stayed home and rested and read!  Can't beat that!
     But I guess if we were giving a grand prize for who had the busiest July 4th, it would be Elois.  She went to her pepper patch with her brother and picked bell peppers.  Then she went to her kitchen and made him loads of stuffed peppers!  Can you beat that?  Talk about a lovely lady!  She said she had company all day, but the best part was when some friends asked if they could bring their cooker over and do a fish fry!  Now, that's what good friends are for.
     What did I do for the 4th?  Oh, a little of this and a little of that, plus lots of eating.  I heard people shooting off fireworks in the neighborhood, but I was inside the cool house, just relaxing in my big easy chair, sipping on some cool iced tea, and watching the fireworks on the TV.  And yeah, I did some reading also, right before my eyes closed for a short nap!  Well, it really wasn't short!
     Looks like we all had a good time.  And now...it's time to go back to work.   See ya later....
    
   

No comments: