Thursday, July 14, 2011

We went to the garden this morning

     That's right!  We did!  Miss Elois and me!
     I'm sure if you've come to the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library you've seen the garden growing at the south edge of the Bert Harsh Park, that park on the library's corner with a black chain fence around it.
     This morning I asked Elois if she'd go to the garden with me and tell me what's growing there.  I had an idea I'd know some of the produce, but not all of it.  And I was right!
     Miss Elois took a pair of scissors with her so she could cut a bunch of zinnias for Irene in the Odom Genealogical Library.  I managed to talk her into cutting lots of zinnias so we could put them in the public library also.
     Well, it didn't take long for Miss Elois to let me know what she saw growing!  Besides the zinnias, there were yellow crook-neck squash, tomatoes, carrots (and Elois says they are sweeeetttt!), butter beans, snap beans, okra (standing tall!), peas, and a few collards (they must go fast!).
     Elois noticed how there were lots of squash and carrots ready for picking.  Before we left the garden, she already had plans to come back and harvest some of the produce.  But in the meantime, she cut enough zinnias for four vases, three of which are now in the front foyer of the public library.
     This is the Community Garden, grown in partnership with the Moultrie Library and the Healthy Colquitt Coalition.  It's carefully tended to by a group of men who live nearby.  And I must say, they do a fine job of weeding, watering, and taking care of the six or seven long raised beds of produce.
     Occasionally, when going home in the afternoon, I see people picking the produce.  Sometimes it's a couple of women, sometimes a mother and her children, once three men pulled carrots and stuffed them into black plastic bags.  And I've been told that occasionally the produce is picked and taken to the Colquitt County Food Bank here in Moultrie.
     I know...all the time you thought the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library was just a place for books and stuff like that.  Well, surprise!  We're more than meets the eye.
     Come check out the Community Garden.  It's lovely!  And it's right here at the Moultrie Library.

1 comment:

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

Fantastic community partnership. Your library is so involved in your community...I really like that!