Thursday, July 28, 2011

Top grossing movies based on books

     I went to see the final Harry Potter movie the other night.  I must admit, it was the best of all of them.  And, I must admit, there are a couple of movies coming out pretty soon that I MUST see, both based on books.  One is The Help by Kathryn Stockett and the other is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.  I've read both books and liked both, so I'm wondering how I'll like the movies.
     While reading Yahoo!News the other day, I read about the top grossing movies based on books.  Let me tell you what they are and you can see how many you've watched...either at the theater or at home.
  • 15. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
  • 14. Tarzan (1999) the Disney animation version
  • 13. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) with Johnny Depp
  • 12. How to Train Your Dragon (2010) the Dreamworks animation
  • 11. Jurrasic Park (1993)
  • 10. Sherlock Holmes (2009) with Robert Downey, Jr.
  •  9. The Chronicles of Narnia (3 films, 2005-2010)
  •  8. I Am Legend (2007) with Will Smith
  •  7. War of the Worlds (2005) with Tom Cruise
  •  6. Twilight (3 films, 2008+)
  •  5. Da Vinci Code (2 films, 2006+)
  •  4. Shrek (4 films, 2001+) the Dreamworks animation
  •  3. Harry Potter (7 flims)
  •  2. Lord of the Rings (3 films)
  • AND ta-daaaaaa!  The number one film based on a book...
  •  1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) with Johnny Depp.
     Of course, you may not agree with all of this information, but if you go back and read all of these books, I'm sure you'll agree they are an impressive lot.  And there are even some "classics" in there for all of you people who like old dusty books!
     How many of those books have you read?  Ah, ha!  Well, then, how many of those movies have you seen?  Ahhh, that's good.
     Just remember, your local public library has a treasure trove of good reading for you and summer is not even over yet.  Still time to indulge!
(Source:  Yahoo!News)

No comments: