Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Little Tour Around Town

On Monday, when some of the businesses were closed for Presidents' Day, I took a "little tour around town," as my Mama used to say. Do you know, our town makes me think of books!
My first stop was at Al's Deli where I had a cup of coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. Just thinking of the food I was eating made me realize we have cookbooks at the library, such as: Food, Fun & Fable (641.5W), Not By Bread Alone (641.5N) and Recipes from the Olde Pink House (641.5R).
When I left Al's, I stopped a couple of stores down at Market on the Square to take a quick peek. There are strange and delightful antiques in that store, and I got interested in a couple. I knew we had books at the library about antiques that could explain some of them, and they are: Antiques You Can Decorate With (749.2G), Antique Collector's Dictionary (R708.04C) and Miller's Antiques & Collectibles: The Facts at Your Fingertips (745.1M).
Next, I walked across the street and stopped at Citi-Trends. They have clothes in there, but what caught my eye were the wind chimes they had for sale. At the library, the book we have about wind chimes is Wind Toys That Spin, Sing, Twirl & Whirl (745.5B). Neat sounding book, huh?
From Citi-Trends, I walked to the next block and stopped at Everything Special, a quaint little shop stuffed with gifts for birthdays, weddings, babies, gardeners, and children. There are gifts for every event you can imagine. Books about gifts we have at the library are: The Book of Presents: Easy to Make Gifts for Every Occasion (745.5B), Scrap Saver's Gift Stitchery (745.4F), and The Meaning of Gifts (150T).
Not wanting to miss any shop around the square, I backed up in my tour and went around the corner to Griner's Jewelry Company, where I spied beautiful diamond jewelry in their windows. A couple of books we have at the library about diamonds are: Engagement & Wedding Rings: the Definite Buying Guide (R739.27M) and Official Investor's Guide (R737.4H).
When I left Griner's, I walked across the street to the last leg of my four-sided tour around town. I made my way into Books 'n' More to check out books by Southern writers. I not only found the books, but had a delightful little visit with the owner. My visit made me think of the books we have at the library about Southern writers, such as: Southern Black Creative Writers (R016.81F), Going to Ground: Simple Life on a Georgia Pond (975.8B) by Amy Blackmarr, and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (YF-AR McCullers) by Carson
McCullers.
The next time you take a "little tour around town," see what books you think of as you visit each store. It's an interesting game to play if you're so inclined.
Maybe I've just been a book lover for too long...

No comments: