Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Silliness Of It All...

The other morning when I came in, something hit me and I couldn't shake it off. It was a silly feeling. I just wanted to hug everyone in sight.
So I did!
Everyone I saw, I hugged. I ran toward them with open arms and a big grin on my face. As I ran toward them, each person's eyes widened in surprise. Then they got a big grin on their face, too. And by the time I grabbed them and hugged tight, they hugged me back.
"Whatever are you doing?" someone asked as I grabbed them.
"I'm collecting hugs," I answered as I grabbed and squeezed hard. But of course, I explained why I was collecting hugs.
You see, a lovely little old lady I once knew at a nature center outside of Thomasville, Georgia, told me that you need twelve hugs a day to stay healthy. I never forgot what she said. And the other morning, when I clocked in at work, I decided that I really needed my twelve hugs as fast as I could get them.
In less than five minutes, I'd collected a hug from Norma, Sheila, Josh, Edna, Johnnie, Aileen, and Tyrone. And you should have heard the silly giggles and seen the smiles and bright eyes. After I'd hugged everyone, the place had a soft buzz in the air. It was the buzz of friendship.
It didn't have anything to do with books or the library. Just had to do with the silliness of it all and friends and staying healthy.
Hugs are great things! Being silly is too!
Mike Myers said, "Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again."
Jane Austen (1775-1817) said, "Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way."
Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951) said: "If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." Now how about
that!
But Horace (65 BC - 8 BC) said it best: "Mix a little foolishness with your prudence: It's good to be silly at the right moment."
I think I hit just the right moment. We all had a good laugh and felt better. And hopefully, feeling better helps make you
healthier.
Try it sometime and see the response you get. There'll be a buzz of friendship around you...a warm buzz of happiness that will keep you healthy. It's really contagious...the silliness of it all.

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

Tim Conway is one of the silliest comedians, and he has lived a long time. I'm sorry I couldn't have been your 13th hugger. Charlie Brown, upside down in his kite-eating tree: "Good humor makes all things tolerable." Finally, the Dalai Lama said, "The secret of life is to be happy."