Tuesday, February 19, 2008

You Should Come Check Out Our Reading Area

Last Wednesday about 1:30 p.m., I decided I'd leave the office and sit in the reading area to write my upcoming blog. I had something in mind to write about, so it was unexpected when I wrote what
I did.
As I sat on one of our new couches, it was just plain delightful; soft cushions, high back, the seat the right height for my feet to meet the floor. The new furniture was so nice that I wanted to run out and buy something new for my home. For a few minutes I sat and soaked up the atmosphere.
On the love seat beside my couch sat a woman wearing her hair in a ponytail, a blue sweatshirt and jeans. She was very into her paperback. On the right of me sat a man dressed all in black with a Yamaha baseball cap still on his head. (Men don't take off their hats in a building like they used to do.) He was reading the want ads in the newspaper. In front of the magazine racks, a man bent over the table as he studied a newspaper. At the round table in the middle of the reading area, a slender woman with blond hair stood while she worked on the community puzzle we started three weeks
ago.
Our reading area is an open area with a high ceiling and plenty of light. It has spacious wine-colored, fabric-covered mahogany chairs, as well as cushy couches, all facing each other in a big square. And there are end tables, of course. The new beige carpet ties the whole area together. Fans whir as they push a soft breeze across the area. It's a pleasant and cheerful place. I knew I'd like to sit there more often.
This is what a library should be like, I thought. Quiet and peaceful enough so you can concentrate on what you're reading or doing...like working a puzzle.
There's plenty of room on the long tables to work and spread out your papers. The magazine racks are full of the latest magazines, as well as a few past ones. There's free literature available on the long counter in front of the fiction section, covering health, driving safety, and many other topics. Current newspapers are also available. If you don't want to read or work on anything, you can browse around the area and look at the cabinets full of memorabilia.
When I finally decided it was time to get busy and write my blog, I realized I had it...a blog about our reading area and the pleasure of just sitting on the couch and taking in the view.
Not many people get to enjoy such a simple pleasure. I hope you'll check out our reading area someday soon and enjoy the view. It's a pleasant and cheerful place. And if you need help with anything, just ask one of the staff members at the circulation counter. They're pleasant and cheerful, too.

No comments: