Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Today in History and Random Thoughts

Once in a while my curiosity gets the best of me, and I have to check out The History Place and see what happened way back when.
Today I found out that on this day...
  • in 1950 the 22nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution was ratified, limiting the President to two terms or a maximum of ten years in office.

I also found out that...

  • in 1991 in Desert Storm, the 100 hour ground war ended as Allied troops entered Kuwait just four days after launching their offensive against Iraqi forces.

And it's also...

  • the day American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born (1807-1882) in Portland, Maine. He was best known for Paul Revere's Ride, The Song of Hiawatha, and The Wreck of the Hesperus. I seem to remember having to memorize all those poems when in high school.

There's also a wonderful literary birthdays site I frequent and, along with Longfellow, this day is the birthday of...

  • Boston-born African American dramatist and poet Angelina Weld Grimke (1880-1958);
  • John Steinbeck, California novelist and 1962 Nobelist (1902-1968);
  • Chicago native, novelist and short story writer James Thomas Ferrell (1904-1979);
  • Chicago author Peter DeVries (1910);
  • India-born British novelist Lawrence Durell (1912-1990), author of The Alexandria Quartet; and
  • U.S. novelist Irwin Shaw (1913-1984).

A friend sent me some random thoughts she found online the other day. They are so true, and I thought I'd share a few with you.

  • About the time we think we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. -Herbert Hoover-
  • It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. -Abe Lincoln-
  • Just when you think you have hit bottom, someone tosses you a shovel.
  • Confidence is what you have when you don't really understand the situation.

So, after all that information, I'll leave you with this one thought: Life is what happens after you make other plans. Just live today and have a good day! (Sources: The History Place http://www.historyplace.com/; Waterboro Public Library http://www.waterborolibrary.org/)

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

"Listen, my children, and you shall hear/Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere....one if by land, two if by sea/And I on the opposite shore will be/Ready to spread...the alarm/to every Middlesex village and farm."
Isn't it funny we can remember lines we learned as children but can't remember what we had for supper 2 nights ago?