Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Do You Know About The Extinction Timeline?

My coworker sent me an email the other day that was more than interesting. It was downright scary. It was an extinction timeline with dates from 1950 to 2050, and some of the things that will be extinct within the next 50 years will blow your mind away!
For instance, the timeline said that hope became extinct in 2001. Now, I have to disagree with that, but everyone has their own opinion.
And the timeline said that in 2007, letter writing became extinct. Well, not really as far as I'm concerned, but then I like to write.
By 2012 dial-up email will be extinct, as well as saying thank you. (Thank you is pretty much gone now.) And right behind those, in 2013 fax machines will be extinct. Then in 2016, the computer mouse will be all gone, as well as tech-based search in 2018 along with DVDs.
But the thing that got a lot of us working here at the library worried about was that in 2019 libraries are supposed to become extinct!
A few other things I noted that would be gone by 2050 were copyright, spelling and blogging, desktop computers, spam, Microsoft, and peace and quiet. How about that last one?
By 2049 physical newspapers will be extinct. And so will Google!
These were only some of the things to become extinct by 2050. It's a real eye-opener, huh?
If you're interested in seeing more, check out http://www.futuretrendsbook.com/.
I'm going to have to go back to the one about libraries and do some research. I've heard that future libraries will not only have books, movies and computers, but they will have restaurants, coffee shops and bookstores where literary items are sold. They will be like grand malls to shop in.
I could do that, couldn't you?
(Source: Creative Commons Attribution, http://www.futuretrendsbook.com/)

2 comments:

Caterpillar said...

I hope the extinction timeline is wrong about saying "thank you." Thank you for your blogs. I also hope libraries add coffee shops. Waldenbooks caught on to that years ago.

Bookworm said...

It's nice to know that someone is really reading these things. Thank you for the "thank you."