Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Outdated Comments and Forgotten Books

Are any of you old enough to remember these comments?
  • Be sure and refill the ice trays; we're going to have company tomorrow.
  • Don't forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.
  • There's a dollar in my purse. Go by the service station and get five gallons of gas before you leave town.
  • No! I don't have five cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money grows on trees?
  • If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you're going to get another one when you get home.
  • It is "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir" to me and your elders, and don't you forget it!
  • Quit slamming that screen door!
  • Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won't have to pay a deposit on another one.

Not all of the comments are outdated, as far as I'm concerned. Especially the "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir." My brother still takes a wind-up clock with him when he goes hunting for several days. And I haven't forgotten my mama telling me to stop slamming that screen door or about the spanking.

Of course, working in a library makes me wonder how most things relate to books. The comments made me wonder if there are books in our library people have forgotten. So, I took one of my little tours to look for such books. And I found them:

  • Sword and Scalpel - Frank G. Slaughter
  • Ann Landers Talks to Teen-agers - Ann Landers
  • Moll Flanders - Daniel Defoe
  • 'Twix Twelve and Twenty - Pat Boone
  • The Tall Ships - John Jennings
  • A Certain Evil - David Kraslaw & Robert S. Boyd
  • Something Happened - Joseph Heller
  • Trixie Belden and the Black Jacket Mystery - Kathryn Kenny
  • Odd Girl Out - Elizabeth Jane Howard
  • The Day Miss Bessie Lewis Disappeared (A Crime Club Selection) - Doris Miles Disney

I even took one of the books back to the office with me: Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene. Looked pretty interesting.

You should see all the books that people seem to have forgotten. They're in our "sale books" and should be rescued by people who love to read. They're in the long, low bookcases facing the reading area. Hardbacks cost anywhere from 25 cents to $1.00; paperbacks cost only 10 cents.

Rescue a good read today and keep it from being forgotten, because books are never outdated!

No comments: