Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This Is Just One Of Those Days...

Yep! This is just one of those days. . .when things are whirling around in my head and I can't begin to think of one single thing to write about for this blog.
Actually, things aren't whirling around only in my head! It's all over the library! The whirling things, I mean. And there's more than one single thing to tell you about.
We have had crews here inside the library doing maintenance (like new, long light bulbs in the ceiling and small, candle-like bulbs in the atrium's chandelier) and housekeeping (like dusting all the ceiling fans and cleaning scuff marks off the baseboards). We have had all the plants in the foyers repotted and their leaves dusted. We have polished, straightened and freshened up everything we can see. I just don't know what more can be left to do.
What's all this whirling about? you ask. (Did you really ask that?)
Well, we are one day away from the beginning of our 100-Year Celebration, and we are anxious and excited and in a big whirl trying to get things ready for you to come see us. You know how that is. It's like you do when you know that the relatives are coming for the big family reunion, or when you get ready to host your lovely daughter's wedding shower, or when it's time to get ready for grandma's annual two-month stay.
Everything has to be sparkling clean and fresh smelling and just downright beautiful.
So, when you come visit us, it's a time we want you to really look at the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library and see how lovely it looks after months of renovating and upgrading and updating. Be sure to sit on the new benches in the genealogy foyer. Take a peek inside the Odom Genealogy Library and see how large it is now and bright and cheerful. Check out the comfortable new furniture in the reading area. Pay attention to all the interesting displays throughout the library.
And when you get to the Children's Library, take a seat on one of the bright, colorful couches and just let your eyes roam around the room. Imagine how the children feel when they come to this magical place, this whole big library, and hear stories by the children's librarian. Imagine how they feel when they get their first library card.
My mother read to me from the time I was a little bitty girl. She gave me a love for books and reading. I never dreamed I'd get to work in such a great place.
If you ever find me, I'll be glad to take you on a tour and show you why we are so excited about having our 100-year celebration.
I just remembered that saying I used to hear. . ."We've come a long way, baby." Do people still say that? We do! We are so proud to be 100 years old!
There! I didn't do so bad after all for not having one single thing to write about!

No comments: