Thursday, April 10, 2008

A New Book Survey Arrived

I just love it when I find a new book survey. The other morning when I opened my Yahoo, there it was. From Yahoo News came an article about America's favorite books.
The Harris Poll surveyed about 2500 adults, ages 18 and up and from all of the different demographic groups.
The survey results showed that the Bible was number one in all groups. But there was a huge difference in the results for the number two favorite. Here's some of what the survey said:
  • Men selected J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
  • Women - Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind
  • 18-31 year olds - J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series
  • 32-43 - Stephen King's The Stand and Dan Brown's Angels and Demons
  • In the South and Mid-West - Gone With the Wind
  • East - The Lord of the Rings
  • West - The Stand
  • The poll didn't say what the favorite book was in the North.

I had to sit and think a while about what books are my favorites. There are just so many to pick from that I found it too hard to come up with one or two, or even three. But in the long run, I did realize the Bible, the Tao Te Ching, the writings of Rumi and Kahlil Gibran, and Shel Silverstein's books are my favorites.

Have you thought about your favorite books? What would you name as your first, second and third? Now that you've read this far, how about leaving a comment with the name of your most favorite book. Thanks.

No comments: