Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm Proud Of Our Library!

Occasionally, I like to take a stroll around our library and look at all the things we have to offer our patrons.
We have a really neat lighted display in the genealogy foyer, showing several of Mrs. Ellen Payne Odom's items of interest. I especially like the picture of her with her husband, Jimmack, and their little dog, Kibbitz, who inspired the doggie collection in the genealogy library. That's a fun collection to look at. Of course, there is no other library like the The Odom Genealogical Library.
And we have a new treat for patrons on the wall of the long, white hallway. This time it's all about "Little Known Holidays," such as Parents Day, National Mustard Day, and Swap Ideas Day. Johnnie and I like the Ice Cream Day and Make A Hat Day.
The Computer Section had 16 people sitting at 20 of the Dell computers, with two other people signing in at the circulation desk. That's usually the busiest area of our library.
I saw three people sitting with their laptops powered up in the Reference Section, and I'm glad they have a place to use the wireless Internet.
I also noticed we still have wonderful hardback books our patrons can "rescue" for only $1 or paperbacks for twenty-five cents. And there's lots of newspapers and magazines to read in the comfortable reading area. Two men were taking advantage of that service.
A woman was tutoring a young man in the Reading Section, and a young mother sat at a table in the Children's Library and colored printed handouts with her children.
In front of the Fiction Section is a long counter. I browsed through the literature that's left for our patrons. There's a wide variety available to pick up, such as:
*Drug Endangered Children
*Move Over! It's the Law (Highway Safety)
*Natural Gas Disconnection
*Getting Enrolled? (Moultrie Tech)
*American Heart Association brochures on physical activity, stroke, high blood pressure, etc.
*Talking Books (for blind and physical handicapped)
*Joshua's Law (Teen/Adult Drivers)
*Colquitt County Arts Center's Newsletter
*Elderhostel International's Programs
*Georgia Virtual School
*Peach Care applications, and the
*U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid Worksheets.
And many of these handouts are in Spanish also.
I stood for a while at that long counter and looked out over the library and all the activity. And you know what? I realized how proud I feel to be working here. Proud not only of all the books, videos, audio books, DVDs, computers, and genealogy aids we have, but of the library as a whole.
And proud there are people working with me who are also proud of the library, who are dedicated and enthusiastic about our service to our patrons.
There are many others in our community who are proud of the library also. In fact, I see a great many of them everyday...right here...in this library that I'm so proud of.
Take a look around and find the things you're proud of here at the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library. I did. It'll make you feel proud, too.

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

"everyday" is one word when it precedes a noun, such as "problems." It's 2 words when used as an adverb, as in "I come to the library every day."
I'm proud of our library too and of its proud workers.
How does a dog come to be named Kibbitz? An Israeli camp is a kibbutz; one who criticizes (like me) is a kibitzer. Maybe the dog listened to its owners' fussing, without comment.
Today our dog showed great displeasure at the introduction of a very scared kitten.