Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One Thing Leads To Another

It always amazes me how my brain works...like a train on a track, going from one station to another. That's what happened this morning as I was making a pot of coffee for our staff.
I looked down at my new shoes. They're blue. They're what's called Mary Janes; flat-soled, wide toes and a velcro strap.
When I looked at them, they made me remember how much my co-worker Ann and I seem to like the same shoes. So, I trotted to her office to show her my new Mary Janes. I just knew she'd like these shoes.
And she did! And liked the price (cheap) and where I got them (in town).
So, from sharing my new shoes with her, my brain rolled down the track until I wondered what kinds of books about shoes we have here at the library.
A quick look in the PINES System (you can find it on our website home page) gave me lots of books, but here's just a few:
***A History of Shoe Fashion by Eunice Wilson (646.4W) - this is a study of shoe design.
***My Shoe Book by Maida Silverman (EM) - a wonderful little 1987 Golden Book.
***Shoes by Elizabeth Winthrop (E811W) - a survey of the many kinds of shoes in the world concludes that the best of all are the perfect natural shoes that are your feet.
***The Make-It-Yourself Shoe Book by Christine Lewis Clark (646.4C) - tells you how.
***Sneakers From Start to Finish by Samuel G. Woods (J685.31W) - explains how sneakers are designed, cut, sewn, embroidered, assembled, inspected, laced, and boxed for shipping.
***Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith (F MCCALL) - the fiction, mystery series of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency that has enchanted all readers.
***No Shirt. No Shoes -- No Problem! by Jeff Foxworthy (B Foxworthy) - this is funny stuff by Foxworthy.
Well, needless to say, you can understand why my brain fascinates me. Doesn't matter what it starts thinking about, it will always lead me back to books, and from there I wonder what I can find in our library. I usually always find it right at my fingertips!

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

I don't remember having Mary Janes but I have a tale of losing shoes that involves 20 extra miles' driving, 1/4 miles of walking in sandals, and success at the end. When something's lost, FIND A SECRETARY.
Now Google "velcro" to see how it was invented.... And why are those shoes called Mary Janes?