Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Flavor of Fall and Food

It was my intention this morning to write about apples, because apples seem to symbolize autumn more than anything else. At least, to me.
I was lured into this thinking by my new copy of Victoria magazine and the gorgeous pictures of a Waldorf salad, a mug of apple cider, baked apple chips, a jar of apple butter, an apple crumb cake, and a lip-smacking deep dish apple pie.
So, I sought out the cookbook stack here in the library just to see what we have. What I found was better than writing about apples. I was amazed at the interesting cookbooks I found, and that's what I want to share with you.
When I saw the cover of Food for the Settler by Bobbie Kalman, it looked like a Christmas book, all red and green, with a woman of early times holding a steaming ball of something on a platter. But the inside was a surprise! Lovely old-fashioned, sepia-toned pictures of long ago, etchings and photographs and drawings. The contents spoke of Fishing the clumsy way, Sugar from the bush, Bread made with a loving touch, and (ah!) The apple harvest. Best of all, it has recipes.
I also found Campbell's Easy Holiday C0oking for Family & Friends, The Old Farmer's Almanac Blue Ribbon Recipes, and Cross Creek Cookery by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
Of course, I had to peek in the Confederate Receipt Book, a Compilation of Over One Hundred Receipts, Adapted to the Times. (Notice, it doesn't say recipes.) There are no pictures, but you'll find recipes for Apple Pie Without Apples, Slapjacks, and Spruce Beer, as well as remedies for dysentery, chills, sore throats, and camp itch. Oh, and for destroying warts.
One cookbook I really like is Cooking with Southern Celebrities, such as Teddy Gentry, the bass guitarist for the music group Alabama, tennis favorite Chris Evert, and author Alex Haley, as well as these people we all know: Richard Petty, Naomi Judd, Ted Turner, and Dolly Parton.
Another book is called Red-Flannel Hash and Shoo-Fly Pie. I shouldn't have to say anything else about that one, except it's great reading with lots of recipes.
For those who need a few modern appliances, I looked into the Better Homes and Gardens Good Food on a Budget, Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody, and Country Kitchen Microwaving. Those seem to be about my speed now days. They all have apple recipes.
And last but not least, I looked in The All Seasons Cookbook, The Market Place by the Augusta Junior Woman's Club, and Keeping the Harvest, Preserving Your Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs.
It seems if I'm going to get carried away and buy a bushel of apples, I'd better have some good apple recipes and learn how to preserve apples. Of course, I could always do my old standby...wash and cut them up, splash them with fruit preservative, and bag them for the freezer.
Well, that's after I make that deep dish apple pie from my new Victoria magazine.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Oh, this blog makes me hungry for fall apples!
Billy and I usually go to North Georgia in the middle of October and we have friends that live there and they have an apple orchard and they are so good. I was amazed at the different kind of apples they are and which ones are better for one thing or another. They are all good if you call them apples!