Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Nines Are Here

I understand there are a lot of people out there who have made big plans for this once in a lifetime day...09-09-09.
My coworker said it's also going to be a big day for those who geocach. She said she and some friends are going to Tallahassee to an event on this 09-09-09 to a nine-minute meeting.
I bet if you look online, you'll see a multitude of blogs about this day, and there will be a multitude of marriages on this day also. There might even be a multitude of births.
So, what's so special about the number nine?
Well, nine is a composite number (do you know what that means?), its proper divisors being 1 and 3. It is 3 times 3 and hence the third square number.
Nine (9) is a Motzkin number. (What does that mean?)
It is the first composite lucky number. (Hasn't brought me any luck yet!)
Nine is the highest single-digit number in the decimal system. 9 = 1001 in binary. (OK.)
Nine is the atomic number of fluorine. (I remember that from school.)
A human pregnancy normally lasts nine months. (I remember that, too.)
Nine ball is the standard professional pocket billards. (Interesting.)
Cats have 9 lives. (At my house, that makes 18 lives.)
"Love Potion No. 9" was originally performed by The Clovers in 1955. (Yep.)
The word "K-9" pronounces the same as canine and is used in many U.S. police departments to denote the police dog unit. (And they're great dogs, too!)
Well, that's the end of my "nine" facts for now. If you have more you know, add them here.
(Wonder if anyone will notice I said only one thing about the library?)
Hope your 09-09-09 is a special day for you.
(Source: Yahoo!)

No comments: