Thursday, November 19, 2009

There's No Getting Around It...I'm Joining In!

Yep! I did it! I've joined the ranks of those who are preparing for Christmas.
This is the time of the month when I plan ahead for the hall calendar and the displays, among the other things I plan for (like our staff Pecan Tasting event on the 24th).
When you walk into our office, you'll hear Christmas music playing. My favorite station has become theradio.com on my computer, where I've clicked into their Christmas music and minimize it so it'll play all day long.
This morning I've been working on Miss Norma's "Children's Book Pick of the Month," meaning her Christmas book. It's author Tomie dePaola's Book of Christmas Carols. DePaola's love of Christmas and its traditions are evident in the magnificent illustrations he has created for the favorite carols in the book. For six of the carols, a foldout page opens up to reveal the carol dramatically illustrated across three pages, in a triptych-like design.
Our genealogist, Miss Irene, chose two books for the "Genealogy Book Pick of the Month." One, Civil War Celebrations, tells not only of holidays and festivities during the Civil War, but it also gives you great old Southern recipes. How about these: Molasses Pie, Christmas Eggnog, "Maybesome" Cranberry Sauce, and Mrs. Brotheton's Mincemeat Recipe.
The second book, Civil War Christmases, gives nine stories that echo the passions of a sensitive heart and of a devoted faith. As you read them, you'll learn more about the Civil War era and about
yourself.
One thing I'll do today is pull more Christmas books for our displays. And every staff member has been encouraged to bring special Christmas ornaments for our front lobby display cases.
"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is being sung in our office right now. I might as well join in, huh?
But I haven't forgotten Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

No comments: