Thursday, November 12, 2009

This Cool Weather Makes Me Hungry!

When the weather turns a little bit cool, it makes me think of yummy winter foods.
During the past week I've made two huge Dutch-oven pots of stew. You know the kind. They are filled with carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, tomatoes and (for me) chunks of beef.
I even made German chocolate muffins last night! You'd think I'm like those little squirrels we see running around this time of year, hiding nuts in every nook and cranny. But I'm loading my freezer with stew and muffins instead of nuts.
This morning I looked on the Web at the different holidays for November and saw this week is National Split Pea Soup Week. Now, I'm not a big fan of split pea soup, but it did encourage me to look in our PINES catalogue to see what other foods I could cook up for my freezer.
How about these:
***Rice, Spice and Bitter Oranges,
***Soups, Stews, Casseroles,
***Red Flannel Hash and Shoo-fly Pie,
***Fix It and Forget It (this was a slow-cooker recipe book), and
***Food, Fun and Fable.
Of course, Paula Deen always has tons of good winter recipes and lots of funny comments. And we have several of her books we can check out.
Being a Weight Watcher, I try to make sure my recipes are within my point system, but occasionally I fail. Wonder how big a bite of a German chocolate muffin isonly two points!
You know, I suppose I'm doomed before I begin filling my freezer. After all, here comes Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
And I'm hungry already....

No comments: