Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's Time For The World To Wear Green

Didn't you just know I'd write about green today? I mean, every blog on the Internet will talk about St. Patrick's Day and leprechauns and green.
All I'm going to say about it is the Irish have celebrated this religious holiday for over a thousand years. They love their traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage. This day, the day of "the wearing of the green," is a lot like Cinco de Mayo, Columbus Day, Mardi Gras, and Easter. It's a day of many personal celebrations.
The best thing I've seen so far...all of us who work here at the library are wearing something green, like t-shirts, beads, pins, earrings. I had fun distributing packs of gum in green wrappers with a little sign taped to it that said, "Have a luck of the Irish day!" And of course, when you walk through the entire library, you'll see all the green displays.
When I opened my window blinds at home this morning, I saw the grass outside my house had even turned green. Now do you think that was all because of St. Patricks' Day?
This Saturday is supposed to be the first day of Spring (and I use a capital for that word because Spring is very important to me). Many of us have been waiting patiently for Spring to arrive and I must say the trees and flowers, and now the grass, say it's coming. It's very close. It's almost here.
Today, St. Patrick's Day, is just another way of encouraging the greening of the Earth. That color has to be the favorite color of the entire world.
Come visit us today and look for the green we have here in the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library.
And by the way, be sure to wear your green today.

No comments: