Thursday, March 18, 2010

We're Big Readers Around Here

I just heard last night on the news that more girl students are interested in math now, and they've caught up with the boys in their achievement.
But when it comes to reading...well, the boys are far below the girls in achievement. The news said the boys want to read only what they're interested in, whereas the girls read most everything.
I thought I'd check that out here at the library and ask the staff what they're reading. Granted, they're all females, but just look at the wide range of authors they read.
***Johnnie reads books by Christian fiction writer Charles Martin (he's a nice looking fella) and thrillers by Steve Martini.
***Monique likes books by Nicholas Sparks, who now has several of his books made into movies, the latest one with Mylie Cyrus.
***Cray reads books by Christian fiction authors like Karen Kingsbury and Tracy Peterson, comtemporary historical author Robin Hatcher, and the famous Danielle Steele and Fern Michaels.
***Norma loves children's books by Mo Willems and Margie Palatini, science fiction by Michael Crichton, and Southern fiction by Fannie Flagg.
***Elois is big on books by media personality Glenn Beck, investor Warren Buffett, and inspirational author Joyce Meyer.
***Ann loves Augusta Trobaugh (a Georgia author with humor), James Patterson, Eugenia Price, and John Grisham.
***Melody reads Nevada Barr, Gail Fraser (we love the Lumby series), and Spencer Quinn (who is writing mysteries from a dog's point of view).
***Michelle is reading inspirational books by Charles Stanley, Khalil Gibran, and Rick Warren.
And me...well, my favorite authors are Augusta Trobaugh, Alexander McCall Smith, Gail Fraser, Fannie Flagg, and all the Southern authors I can find. Plus most anyone that writes a little cozy mystery!
I think my next survey will be when I sit at the local coffee shop. I think I'm going to ask every fellow I see who their favorite authors are. Wonder what kind of response I'll get. Interesting, huh? I'll let you know.

No comments: