Wednesday, March 10, 2010

There's More Than One Way to Garden

My girlfriend got me to thinking about gardening the other day. Now, I'm not a gardner, but she is. And she was complaining because her apartment is in the shade, under a live oak tree, and her flowers don't want to bloom.
When I had flowers on my front porch, I complained too, but I complained because I had too much sun and everything burned up. Hence, I am not a gardner!
While thinking about her problem, I decided to look at the gardening books we have here at the library. Surely, I thought, something is here to help her. Boy, did I find some good books!
*** Successful Gardening in the Shade by Helen Van Pelt Wilson (635.95) has practical advice on having a continuous display of colorful flowers and attractive lawns for shady places.
*** Easy Plants for Difficult Places in apartments, homes and offices by Jack Kramer (635.965K). That's me and my really hot front porch!
*** The Complete Book of Patio Gardening by Jack Kramer (635.967K) is an authoritative guide that answers all your questions about designing, building, and planning your patio.
*** Plant Fun by Anita Holmes Soucie (635.9S) tells about 10 easy plants to grow indoors.
*** Rose Growing Simplified by John Melton (635.933) is a step-by-step guide to buying, planting, transplanting, pruning and caring for roses. And my friend has a ton of "Knock-out Roses" in her yard.
*** The Container Expert by Dr. D. G. Hessayon (635.98A) will show you how to plant in just about any kind of container.
But I have to admit I did find MY perfect book for gardening. It's called Gardening Without Work by Ruth Stout (I even like her name) (635.9S). It's a book For the Aging, the Busy, and the Indolent: no plowing, no hoeing, no cultivating, no weeding, no watering, no spraying. How can you beat that?
So, if you're like my girlfriend with a shade problem or me with a sun problem and you'd really like to garden, here are books to help.
There's more than one way to garden.

No comments: